E-2 Visas

E-2 Investor Visa Attorneys

What is an E-2 Visa?

The E-2 visa, also known as the E-2 treaty investor visa, is a nonimmigrant visa that allows foreign nationals of countries that have a treaty of commerce with the United States to reside temporarily and work legally in the U.S. after investing a substantial amount in a U.S. company.

General E-2 visa application requirements

To qualify for an E-2 visa, the applicant must:

  • Be a national of a treaty country.
  • Invest a substantial amount in a real, operating commercial enterprise that is not marginal in nature. (See more below in E-2 Visa minimum investment)
  • Own at least 50% of the business.
  • Be able to prove their ability to manage, control, and direct the business.
  • Provide proof of their source of funds.
  • Intend to depart the U.S. once the visa expires along with the dependents. (See more below in 'is the E-2 Visa Dual Intent?'

In most cases, you do not need to reside in one of the treaty countries to be eligible for this visa, as long as you are a citizen of one of them, although each international treaty has its unique requirements. On the other hand, even if you live legally in a treaty country but are not a national of that country, you will not be able to apply.

It is also important to note that you will have to present a business plan to give more credibility to your investment.

E-2 Treaty Countries

Below is a list of countries that have a treaty of commerce, or E-2 treaty, with the United States, as of November 2022:

Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Congo (Brazzaville), Congo (Kinshasa), Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Grenada, Honduras, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Liberia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Senegal, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad & Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Yugoslavia.

Benefits of the E-2 Visa

In addition to living and working legally in the U.S., you may travel in and out of the country without restrictions. It is important to note that the E-2 Visa holder is limited to working in the company for which the E-2 visa was granted.

Your spouse and dependent children under the age of 21 may accompany you. Your spouse is allowed to work anywhere in the U.S., and he/she is not required to work in the E-2 business. Your dependent children may study at a U.S. public school or university without applying for an additional study permit, however, they will not have work authorization.


E2 Investor Visa Lawyer

Is the E-2 Visa Dual Intent?

The E-2 visa is a temporary visa, and it does not lead to a Green Card. However, you can apply to renew it indefinitely as long as you continue to meet the E-2 visa requirements.

E-2 Visa Minimum Investment

There is no minimum investment required to apply for the E-2 visa, as consular officers analyze investments on a case-by-case basis. The required amount will depend on the size of the business. However, the investment must be considered substantial. A substantial investment can impact the operations of an existing enterprise or, for startups, allow the business to begin operations in the country.

The investment enterprise must also not be considered marginal. This means that the company must generate enough income to support more than the treaty investor and their family, i.e., you must hire other employees, or show that the company has a present or future capacity to make a significant economic contribution.

Do you want to learn more about the E2 Visa? Check out our attorneys' answers to questions frequently asked by our clients.

Contact our E-2 Visa Lawyers for a Consultation Today

Since E-2 visa cases vary greatly, finding information that fits your specific needs can be challenging. At Symphorien-Saavedra Law, we have extensive experience with investors and entrepreneurs from various treaty countries. Frank Symphorien-Saavedra is Board Certified as expert in Immigration and Nationality Law by the Florida Bar and has helped many clients over the years. We are ready to provide you with personalized advice guiding you along the process.

Contact us at 407-802-1717 and schedule a consultation with one of our E-2 visa lawyers. You can also fill out the online form at the end of this page, and we will contact you shortly.

Contact us

Orlando Immigration Lawyer - Frank Symphorien-Saavedra

Symphorien-Saavedra Law, P.A. is a diverse team of immigrants who are dedicated to helping immigrants, small businesses, and investors.

(*) This information is provided for general purposes and is not a substitute for individualized advice. You should schedule a consultation to discuss your particular situation.